Wednesday, September 28, 2011

tonsillectomy & banana bread

Yesterday Sophie had a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, and a microlaryngoscopy to see her vocal chords.  (I really have no idea how to spell any of that!)  We had to wake her at 5:15 a.m.  Danny and I drove her to the hospital---and she was relaxed, cheerful and not even asking for food or water.  As we waited in the second waiting room...she just played and played.  When the different doctors and staff members came over to talk to us---she would skip back to listen to what they had to say and then go back to her play.  When it was time to go into the surgery room, I held her as we went down the hall.  They had a childlife specialist walk with us and talk to her about tinkerbell and the toys in her hands.  When it was time for her to turn the corner with out me I set her down and gave her a kiss.  She walked calmly with the doctor and was really really really brave!  I was DYING!

She was uncomfortable after the surgery---but wanted to be held (which helped both of us) and eat her slushie.  She woke up and drank well so they let us go.  Go UTE Nana (Danny's mom) was waiting at our house.  She had spent the night and helped Ellie and Kate get off to school in the morning.  She offered to stay at the house until we returned.  When we arrived home Sophie climbed up on her lap and just slept in her arms.  The car ride was upsetting to her---and sleeping in her Nana's arms was just what she needed.

After that nap and some food she had forgotten that she even had surgery.  We had to remind her to talk softly, be still (quit jumping!), and rest.  When her pain is controlled with the medicine she talks and acts completely normal.  When it is wearing off she is quite uncomfortable.

Nana Miller came to visit after dinner and she brought this sticker book.  They sat in the quiet house (Danny and Kate were on a date & Ellie was at the symphony with a friend) and worked and worked on the stickers.  As I watched them from the kitchen I made my mom's famous banana bread and thought about how lucky we are:

wonderful doctors and hospital staff
wonderful loving Nanas
sweet messages (via text, email and phone)
thoughtful visits
and even treats (slow melt popsicles were brilliant and I didn't know about them!)

We feel so blessed to have so many that we love and appreciate.  Thank you for spoiling my little girl. <3

The banana bread was the perfect way to end the day....
 my version of my mom's banana bread:

mix together 
2 c. ripe bananas (aprox. 6)
1 c. finely chopped nuts (I use pecans)
1 c. sour cream

in a separate bowl beat
2 c. sugar
1/4 to 1/2 c. real maple syrup
1 c. softened butter
4 eggs

add together and then add
1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 c. freshly ground flour 
(I used quinoa and oat groats.  You can use all regular flour...but this is easier than you think!  I love my wheat grinder and I have had it for at least two years and just started using the last few weeks!  You literally throw the quinoa seeds in...and you have flour!  Oats are great for cookies and baking!!!)
2 t. baking soda
2 t. salt

Mix well.  Add 2 t. of vanilla.  mix again.  Pour into 3 loaf pans coated with butter.  Bake at 350 degrees for at least 60 minutes.


Shauna said...

What a brave little girl! Get better fast Sophie!!!

nikki said...

Way to be brave Sophie! Surgery is not fun. Can we bring you some popsicles?