Friday, March 25, 2011

easy to be busy~


This photograph attempts to capture a piece of my favorite minutes of today.
It was late morning.
Sophie was working on her checklist
(a list we have created-we all have one-of the most important things for her to do in her day: 
reading a book, practicing violin, listening to her Suzuki music, set the table, make her bed and clean her room)
Reading was what she wanted to do.
Usually we read one book and hurry to what might be next.
She wanted to read on her bed.
I sat and waited while she grabbed 4 books 
(Ruby the Copycat, Pinkalicious, Goldilicious, Catalina Magdilena Hooopenstiner Wallindiner....).
We read and read and read.
Snow was falling outside.
We were warm in her room---Charlie curled up next to us.
All of the worries I have carried around this week were melting away.

"Let's be honest; it's rather easy to be busy.  We all can think up a list of tasks that will overwhelm our schedules.  Some might even think that their self worth depends on the length of their to-do list.  They flood the open spaces in their time with lists of meeting and minutia---even during times of stress and fatigue.  Because they unnecessarily complicate their lives, they often feel increased frustration, diminished joy, and too little sense of meaning in their lives."

I was reminded of this by my friend Bianca this week: here.

I have been thinking about it since then.
I want so much for myself, for Danny and for our girls.
There is so much I want to learn.
There are so many ways I want to improve.
There are so many opportunities I want to give to my girls.

My thoughts have been obsessed with this balance.
I have been going over and over again in my mind---
how I can fit in more...
Extracurricular activities,
learning over the summer,
their school work,
my responsibilities....
music lessons and teachers...

Every empty check on our checklists have felt a bit like failure.
I had reached a point this morning---
something had to change.
I was squeezing out all of the joy.

My answer today was to be still.
I spent my first moments of the day reading from Matthew in the New Testament.
I usually read a chapter and go on to the next thing...
This morning I just kept reading.
Then---I was still.
I didn't move.
I spent time just breathing in and out.
Breathing.

I let the girls sleep in.
I received an answer....
Let them sleep.
That was not a solution that I anticipated.

Once the house was quiet and it was just Sophie and I-
we received a gift.
Snow falling.
Our world was quiet.
Have you noticed how quiet it is as snow falls around you?

We were able to focus on the best things.
Those things of value.
We enjoyed being together.
I was excited when we would all be home together in the evening.

I am grateful for these words.
Being busy is easy....
Slowing down will be a challenge,
but I am up for the challenge.

"Let us simplify our lives a little.  Let us make the changes necessary to refocus our lives on the sublime beauty of the simple, humble path of Christian discipleship- the path that leads always toward a life of meaning, gladness and peace."

12 comments:

Misty said...

I was just talking to Alicia about this very conference talk a couple of days ago! It was my favorite one and exactly what I needed to hear at the time and still need to hear, even now. I'm working on it as well, but it isn't easy. Busy-ness always seems to sneak back in some how. Seeing it here on your blog is just another affirmation of how God really thinks it is important for me to get this message. Thanks for the reminder!

Jeanette said...

Thanks for this post Carin! I always find myself getting overwhelmed with things to do that at the end of the day I don't even know what I've been doing all day! Slowing down IS hard. But isn't it the things that are the hardest that bring us the most joy?? Loved this post

Stueller said...

Beautiful... I could never say it better and it's exactly how i feel! I am consistently fighting my life to slow it down. Thanks for the inspiration.

Annie Miller said...

Peonies in my Garden--the book. I can just see it now! These posts are awesome!, inspiring :) I'll be your manager! Lets do it. CHECK!!!

CREATE said...

I love that talk! It is too easy to get wrapped up in busyness. Thanks for the reminder.

Lisa said...

Beautiful words! Thank you for sharing your insight and wisdom!

Tebbs Family said...

I am the absolute WORST at following this counsel. However, I did decide Thursday night to be spontaneous and hitch a ride to St. George to watch Garrett's WX tennis tournament. I worried about all the stuff I had to do at home but I knew it would still be there when I got home... wish I could be more like you!

Connie Miller said...

beautiful!

Jennifer said...

This is one of my favorite quotes by President Hinckley "I feel to invite women everywhere to rise to the great potential within you. I do not ask that you reach beyond your capacity. I hope you will not nag yourselves with thoughts of failure. I hope you will not try to set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. I hope you will simply do what you can do in the best way you know. If you do so, you will witness miracles come to pass." Gordon B. Hinckley

Jennifer said...

This is one of my favorite quotes by President Hinckley... it is easier said than done.
"I feel to invite women everywhere to rise to the great potential within you. I do not ask that you reach beyond your capacity. I hope you will not nag yourselves with thoughts of failure. I hope you will not try to set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. I hope you will simply do what you can do in the best way you know. If you do so, you will witness miracles come to pass." Gordon B. Hinckley

Cristi said...

Well Done!

Ashley Kate said...

<3 as always :)