Tuesday, September 14, 2010

a stop along the way


We had the great fortune to be one stop along the way of their across country travels.  My aunt Jossy and her sweet friend Marcia began their adventure in Rhode Island.  They both spend their summers on Hog Island, RI.  As summer ended they jumped in the car and decided to see the country.  Some of the stops they have made are Ohio, Chicago, Iowa, and Colorado.  After their visit here they are on their way to Bryce Canyon, Zions National Park and the Grand Canyon.  Their adventure will be complete when they arrive in Scottsdale, AZ.

Aunt Jossy is my mom's sister.  She and Marcia have been friends since they were very young.  Both of their families spent their summers on Hog Island.  Our families go way back--but this was my first time to meet her.  We have had a delightful time getting to know her.

There are a few stories from Hog Island that will never be forgotten.  One of those stories links Marcia with my grandmother.  Marcia was about 14.  Her little cousin was missing.  The word spread quickly and everyone on the island stopped what they were doing to look for the little boy.  Three hours had gone by and Marcia turned a corner with my grandmother.  She spotted her cousins feet in a rain barrel.  They got the small boy out and my grandmother, a nurse, immediately began to perform CPR.  She tried everything she could to save him.  In fact, Marcia told us her aunt (the boy's mother) had said later of the event, that my grandmother provided the best medical care possible.  Unfortunately, it wasn't enough.  He was gone and my grandmother's heart was broken.  That experience changed my her.  The island, where she had so many happy memories like her engagement to my grandfather, was never the same for her after that. 

Marcia went into the medical profession in her career.  She pursued a strong focus in CPR.  We talked a lot about it while she was here.  I have certified a couple of times.  I asked her, "Will it really com back if I need it?"  The number of compressions, breaths, the order of things...how do you remember when we don't use it?  She promised that it will be there.  15 compressions + 2 breaths was taught for a long time.  Now some experts say just compressions...the important thing is to know at all---to get certified.

Thank you Aunt Jossy and sweet Marcia!  We miss you already!  Someday I will drive across country...headed straight for Hog Island, RI to enjoy a summer of no electricity, kerosene lamps, swimming, card games and good books.  Next summer we hope to fly there (no cross country road trips with my crew!) with the girls and stay for a week.  Thank you for the invitation!

5 comments:

Bob Miller said...

It was really nice to spend an evening with Jossy and Marcia. They are a lot of fun to be around and meeting Marcia for the first time was delightful.

Tebbs Family said...

What darling ladies!! I hope I have a friend like that I can do things with when I'm older. Thanks for sharing the sobering story--I am always afraid I won't know what do to do... inspires me to be better prepared in CPR.

peewee said...

I am ALL FOR THE CROSS COUNTRY TRIP! Let's caravan!

peewee said...

I think you'll love this...
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/hot/tilt-shift-van-gogh-1.htm

peewee said...

one last thing....this reminded me of you :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwlphotography/2349491462/in/photostream/